SOLC #3/31 -I'm slicing with the Two Writing Teachers community for Day Three of Thirty-One of the Slice of Life Challenge in March. Thank you Stacey, Tara, Anna, Betsy, Dana, Kathleen, Beth, and Deb.
Our skies were covered with darks clouds yesterday in the early morning, and as I drove south, the streets were wet. A little rain had passed that way. Then those clouds were swept away and left us with tremendous wind. The sun made things look nice, but the usual plastic bags and trash bits were blowing down the street and into the trees. Some leftover leaves also blew around, onto porches and into my car when I opened the door!
As I was driving, I also noticed some workers trying to clean up someone's autumn leftovers with leaf blowers. It was a futile venture, at least when I went by. The leaf blower blew them one way, and the wind answered back, and blew them to another part of the lawn. Remember Sisyphus and that boulder?
This started me thinking of a few other things that seem futile in the doing, at least in the time they are done:
- Vacuuming the rugs before my granddaughters come to visit. (They really aren't that messy, but it happens often, and then I re-consider my planning.)
- Washing the car before knowing the weather forecast. (I don't have a garage anymore, so try hard to keep my car clean most of the time, and yes, one day I have it washed, and the next day, snow or enough sprinkles happen that make it look bad again.)
- Keeping clean a light-colored couch when one owns a black dog or cat. (I admit that I've never done this, but I did own a dalmatian once and it didn't matter what color our furniture was, it was covered with black and white hair most of the time. I did love my dog, Sophie, however.)
- Being a good re-cycler, and emptying a lot of old cans of food - from my earlier moving-down the garbage disposal instead of just dumping all the food in the trash. (Yes, I did this and ended up with a rather large plumbing bill.)
- Trying to change a light bulb when it just burned out without a piece of cloth. (It's too hot, and not only did I burn my fingers, but I dropped the bulb and ended up with a big clean-up.)
- WHAT WOULD YOU PUT HERE?
photo credit: The leaf blower via photopin (license)